The power to END eating disorders is yours by taking 1 min. tor contacting your legislator via call or email, below is a a sample script. Join the movement, and advocate for a bill that has the power to impact our BODY SHAMING & Barbie Culture and change the world for the girls and boys of tomorrow!
The most shocking fact about eating disorders to me, aside from being the #1 most fatal mental illness, is that 80% of 10 year olds have been on a diet, #SomethingsGottaGive, Y’all! Let’s stand together and fight body shaming and change the world one phone call, one letter, on email at a time.
Anna Westin Act in a Nutshell, for a Deeper look. click here:
- Training – using existing funds NIMH & SAMHSA to train health & school professionals to intervene early;
- Clarity of the Mental Healthy Parity Act – make insurance companies cover residential treatment;
- Truth in Advertising – Commission study & report if we need regulation for digitally altered images in advertising.
How to Advocate in Under a 1 min
Sample Script: Write a Letter, or Send a quick Email
- Intro: “My name is ______ and I live in _____ (city, state). I am a constituent of the Senator/Representative.
- Ask their Support: “I’m asking you to sign-on to the bipartisan, Anna Westin Act, Bill S. 1865/ HR 2514 to prevent Eating Disorders, and support the bill.”
- ED Fact: ” Eating Disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness & this bill & doesn’t require additional money” * additional facts
- Sentence about your Story: “This is important to me because____________, thank you for your support”
Who’s your Legislator:
How did this bill get started?
After the death of their daughter, Anna’s parents started lobbying to their representatives. I truly believe this could be the most important pieces of legislation of our time and has the ability to fundamentally change the body shaming culture we currently live in. You Voice matters! Political Debates feel frustrating more than not lately, and this is a way of you to get involved to not only prevention eating disorders through smart policies but CHANGE the CULTURE with 1 MIN of Action!
Learn More about Anna’s story
Here is Anna and her families story about how one girl lost her life to an eating disorder and whose family now are the advocates behind the bill. The ANNA WESTIN ACT will provide school & health professionals trained on this illness for early intervention , provide treatment options, clarifying the mental health parity act & requiring insurance companies to cover treatment of eating disorders, & lastly a study for how digitally altered bodies is effecting our culture.
- Facts and statistics take from the Eating Disorder Coalition for Research, Policy, and Advocacy
Please share this post and spread the message so we can change the #BodyShaming Culture we live in.